Thursday, January 7, 2016

Third grade baubles!

This is one of my favorite projects found on Pinterest that I repeat each year in third grade!  It's perfect for teaching shape, texture blending and analogous colors, as well as value and highlighting.  


We start by tracing circles onto white paper, adding a highlight, and painting.  We discussed blending and the color wheel, taking care not to get paint into the highlight. I usually use watercolors, but this year I tried tempera.  I think I like this version, but I just love the fluid texture that watercolor usually gives them!
Next we cut out our circles and glue them onto black paper so that the highlights are all turned the same direction. 
Adding the branches with color sticks and if they had time, they could add lights. 





No comments:

Post a Comment