Wednesday, February 19, 2014

WHERE IS THE RED?!?!?!?!?!

Anyone else frustrated with the lack of RED in Crayola's construction paper crayons?  Me too!  It's amazing how limited you are when you don't have red.  I discovered a solution by accident last year as we were working on these adorable self portraits in 1st grade.  There was not a great color for lighter skintones, and I had the new Crayola Color Sticks, which I also love.  The color sticks are also limited color choices, but by combining color sticks and construction paper crayons on this project, the results were just perfect!  Color sticks are a unique material, they're not like crayons, or chalk, or even a colored pencil.  I love using them on dark papers, but they are also great on white.



Finally!! A red that works on black paper!!



I just love how these turn out each year!


2 comments:

  1. I recently noticed that they do have a greater variety of color sticks in the set of 24. Buying 5-10 sets doesn't seem cost effective, yet I have considered buying a box or two for special projects. There are a lot of intermediate colors in the construction paper crayon boxes. I had not thought of combining the two in one project. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for your comment! With as much as we're enjoying the color sticks, you're right, it may be worth ordering a few sets of 24! That's a good thing to spend my fundraiser money on! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete